Thursday, February 15, 2018

Knitting for the Homeless Shelter

Hi all -

When I started knitting a couple of years ago, I had grand plans of knitting a bunch of projects for the homeless shelter. I did a good job of this the first year, but last year I let this drop. So, I made a big push this year to make a bunch of items for the homeless. This post shows what I've accomplished so far. Now you'll see where most of my time has gone this year.

The other thing I'm trying to do is use up some yarn that I bought a couple of decades ago. A friend had taught me a crochet blanket pattern and I was making a blanket, but then I let it drop and when I went back to it I couldn't figure out how to continue in pattern. So I had to rip it all out. At that point, I decided to make a different crochet blanket. I found a pattern and started working it. I wasn't sure if I would have enough yarn, so I bought some more in a matching color. Again, I let it slip and then couldn't get back into pattern. (I don't know how to crochet so was trying to learn while making the blankets.) I've given up on this blanket and now want to use up the yarn. So, you'll see a lot of the light rose and mauve yarns below. I've made a good dent in my supply, but, alas, still have about 10 skeins to go....

My first project is the Sailor's Rib Cap by YaYa Lovestoknit. (This isn't the old yarn I'm trying to use up, as you'll see when you see the other projects below.)


I really like this pattern and will probably make more of these. It's hard to find an interesting men's pattern to knit since they tend to like things plain!

Since the yarn I'm trying to use up is light rose and mauve, the rest of the projects are women's patterns, which I find much more fun to knit!

The next project is the Cabled Moss Stitch Cowl by Churchmouse Yarns and Teas.


This is made with the worsted weight yarn doubled to make it a quick, bulky knit. It was a bit stiff with the acrylic yarn so I stopped at one less pattern repeat than called for in the pattern. The pattern would be a lot nicer in a softer yarn, but I think it still turned out nice and will definitely keep someone warm! (And it used up a good amount of yarn!)

My next project was the Lace-Edged Women's Hat by Julie Hentz.


I think this is a really pretty, very feminine hat. And it was a quick knit!

I also made the Gnarly Hat by Diana Troldahl.


I really like the texture in this hat and, in a different color, it would make a nice men's hat, too.

Finally, I made the Definitely Diagonal Scarf by Kris Basta.


This was kind of big for a scarf, so could also be thought of as a small shawl. Either way, it's easy to make and has more wonderful texture. And it really used up a lot of my yarn!

That's all of the homeless shelter projects I've made so far this year. I'll try to keep plugging away at these and will periodically post my progress.

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment