Thursday, May 14, 2020

Pacificus DK Sweater Finished

Hi all -

I hope you are all doing well! We continue to do well here. Besides working, I've mostly been knitting and TV binging. I watched Season 2 of "Dead to Me" on Netflix last weekend. I had originally just meant to watch an episode or two while I ate lunch, but I got sucked in and had to watch the entire season. I hope they make more seasons of this show!!

I'm excited to have finished my Pacificus DK sweater designed by Laura Nelkin:


I love how this sweater feels when wearing it! And the bright color! It's interesting because this sweater is made with the same yarn and in the same construction as my Novel-T sweater (also designed by Laura Nelkin) that I describe here, but it's knit at a looser gauge (larger needles so more space between the stitches) and you can really feel the difference in the weight of the fabrics. The Novel-T sweater feels kind of heavy when I wear it, but this sweater feels a lot lighter! This sweater is knit side-to-side, from the edge of the right sleeve, across the body, finishing on the edge of the left sleeve. The sides are then knit together with a narrow panel:


The side panel adds another pretty detail to the sweater.

I've also made good progress on my Creek sweater:


The stitch pattern for this sweater makes it slower to knit (and my large size doesn't help), but I'm getting there. As you can see, the body and right sleeve are finished and I just have the left sleeve and neckline to go. This one should be finished by my next blog post! I'm knitting this sweater with a yarn that is a cotton and wool mix. I'm really liking how it feels when I try it on!

I also received the April installment of my shawl club project, the Coral Coast Wrap designed by Ambah O'Brien.


This month's section of the pattern was really easy so I was able to knit it up in just a couple of hours. Now it's put away, waiting for the end of this month.....

My sewing machine was also calling to me and I just had to take a break and make a new project bag with some fun knitting fabric that I have:


I used the Finch Bucket pattern to make this bag, but I increased the size of the bag so it has plenty of room to hold a large sweater project with all of the needed supplies. I made another bag of this size a while ago that I'm using for my Creek sweater project and it's perfect for that, but the pattern has you make a single handle on one side of the bag. With a weighty project, if you pick the bag up by the handle then the weight of the project can cause the draw string to open up a bit. It dawned on me that I could change the design to have two handles at the top of the bag, like a tote bag and I really wanted to see how that would work. Here's what I came up with:


I think I'm going to really like this design, but will have to wait for another big sweater project to see how it works out in practice. Inside the bag, the pattern has you put in a bunch of pockets, which I love. I also added a length of ruler twill tape, which is handy when knitting, and a lobster hook so I can attach a little bag of notions for easy access if I want.


I think I'm going to love using this bag!

That's all I've been working on lately, but I thought you'd also enjoy a picture of a pet using poor judgement:


Yep, that's Buttercup curled up with the iron on my pressing table. Luckily, the iron was not plugged in at the time! (I do always chase the cats off of the pressing table whenever I'm sewing, even if I'm not using the iron, so they are less likely to jump up there when the iron is plugged in....)

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment