Sunday, March 5, 2023

New Computer

 Hi all -

Sorry for the delay in posting. I spent a bunch of time moving files from my very, very old Windows laptop to my new Mac. There's a utility that is supposed to copy the files from the Windows computer to the Mac for you, but it didn't work for me, probably because my Windows box is so old that the OS is no longer supported. So I got out my external disks and copied the files by hand. I also ordered some new backup disks for the Mac since I can't write to my Windows disks from the Mac and I don't want to reformat the disks and lose the Windows backups, just in case I need something after I get rid of the Windows box. Then, just to add to the fun, my internet went out for 2 days so I couldn't continue with the computer work. I still need to format the new external drives and do the initial Mac backups, but I'm saving that fun for later. Now I'm still figuring out where to put everything and I'm writing my first blog post using the Mac. It'll take a while to figure out what works best for me on the Mac, but I'm getting there.

One of the fun things that I ran across while transferring files was my downloads of all of my Craftsy classes. I copied a bunch of those to my Mac and tested watching one and everything seems good so one of the things that I'm going to do during my retirement is watch my Craftsy classes and do some of the projects. I also have over a year of shows from The Quilt Show that I haven't watched yet, so I'm looking forward to a lot of inspiration in the coming years!!

But on to my crafting... I did actually get some things done!

First, with the other projects that I've finished recently and the leftover yarn that I've come across while cleaning things up, I had more than enough scripts to finish my Habitation Throw designed by Helen Stewart:

Habitation Throw
I really love how this blanket turned out! It's ugly with all of the different colors, but I love the spongy feel of the yarn and it's the perfect warmth for me. And I love seeing all of these scraps finding a good use!!

Just for fun, I also started (and finished) a new project. I wanted to make something simple and quick so I found some beautiful yarn in my stash and found a pattern. What I chose was the Willow Cowl designed by Amelia Lyon:
Willow Cowl flat

This is a simple knit using only knit, knit 2 together and yarn over stitches, but the result is lovely! There's more variation in the colors that what the pictures show. When worn, the lace sections are wider than the stockinette sections, so they puff out and the cowl lies really nicely:

Willow Cowl as worn

The yarn is a light fingering weight so the cowl is really light, and it is so soft! I think it will be perfect on those spring days when it's not quite long-sleeve T-shirt weather, but is close.

That's about all I have for now. I hope everyone is doing well!!

Nancy

2 comments:

  1. Your Willow Cowl is beautiful and I don't think that your leftover yarn Afghan is ugly at all! I hope you are able to get back to the information transfer soon!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete