Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Kaffe Kite Block Table Runner

Hi all -

In this post, I thought I'd share the Kaffe Kite Table Runner that I made. Here is the table runner before quilting:


You can get the pattern here, if interested. I don't think that's where I got the pattern, but that's the only place I can find it now. I pieced this last summer before going to the Kansas City Regional Quilt Festival, but didn't get it quilted until this fall.

I felt like this table runner needed some more color in the solid areas, so I decided to add some big stitch hand quilting. I came up with a design that I liked in the stars, so I started there.


Here is a close-up of one of the finished designs:


When I had the hand stitching done in the stars, I took a picture of the table runner on my iPad, pulled it into a drawing app and started playing with quilting ideas. Here are the designs that I decided to go with:


The drawn quilting lines are far from perfect, but they gave me a good idea of what I might like.

I was worried about the machine quilting in the middle because I could tell that the top fabric was shifting a bit while I was doing the hand quilting. I was going to have to try to work that excess fabric in as I did the machine quilting. Do you see the tuck at the left side of the center circle?



And you can see some excess fabric around the edges of the back-and-forth quilting:


But to me, that's not something that bothers me enough to take it out, especially for a table runner that will have bowls of food sitting on it.

For the outside areas, I decided to do the dense machine quilting before adding the hand stitching to see if the fabric would lay better. I marked the hand stitching lines with water-soluable pen, then quilted it as if the hand stitching was already there.


When the machine quilting was finished, I added the hand stitching.


That worked a lot better for me!

Here I have the hand stitching in the center area completed:


When I finished the hand stitching, I just added a double-fold binding, as usual.


And here are close-up pictures of the different sections so you can see them better:


Even with the problems in the center, I really love how this turned it! It'll be a Christmas present for my sister, Linda, this year.

And for a little Christmas cheer, here is a picture of Lance at our company Christmas party today:


I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and, if I don't get anything else done before then, a spectacular New Year!!

Nancy

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous as always Nancy!

    Barb Rucker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those hand stitches added pop to that table runner. I'm working with some on a project myself. I added mine before the quilting step. . .let's see how that process goes. You've given me some options to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy! This table runner is so terrific. Love the piecing and the quilting is fabulous! Lance is so lovable.

    ReplyDelete