Friday, May 4, 2018

Home is Where the Heart Is -- Part 1

Hi all -

Sorry it's been so long since my last post! Most of my time has been spent knitting my first sweater, so I haven't had any accomplishments to share with you. The sweater is getting closer, but still has a way to go. But I've also been working on a wallhanging for my step-niece's wedding. Kelly and John are getting married on June 2. They are both wonderful people and are a really good match!

Several years ago I made a sampler wallhanging for a friend of mine when he finished building his new home. I thought this would be the perfect gift for Kelly and John, too. The main block in this quilt is a house block:


This is the perfect start because Kelly and John bought the home of their dreams a year or two ago. Their home is really important to them, as is their dog, Willie, who you can see peeking out of the window. I was going to give them a white picket fence but the white seemed to stark for this quilt, so I gave them a rustic one instead:


 They are avid hunters, so I had to give them a deer in their yard:


A couple of Friendship Star blocks because they really are best friends:


And the sun, to make their days bright:


And, of course, I had to include a heart to represent their love for each other:


I got all of the blocks put together and was able to get the stitch-in-the-ditch quilting finished last weekend:


I decided not to put on borders because I didn't want to make it any bigger and I thought a simple binding would be the perfect finish to contain this fairly wild quilt. I did the SID quilting using YLI invisible thread in both the top and the bobbin. I wound the bobbin very slowly so that the thread wouldn't stretch while it was winding, and I used a size 70 needle for the stitching. It stitched like butter! The back is a deer print:


This weekend I'll start on the interesting quilting. I know what I'm going to quilt in some areas, have ideas for others, and will wait for inspiration to hit for the rest.

I'll share the finished quilt soon since I have to have it finished by the wedding!

Before we go, here's a picture of one of our visitors last week:


I took this picture through the window on my front door, where the moose was munching away on a bush not more than 15 feet away from me. They are so majestic! I'm very lucky that they come to visit every once in a while!

Nancy

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Hard to believe you still have snow falling this late in the year! Moose are majestic. What a view you had!!! Great plan for a special quilt. How fun to make such a special piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy springtime in the Rockies! We had a foot of snow yesterday and it was in the 50s today with bright blue skies. We need all of the snow we can get, so glad to have it!!

      Delete
  2. Oh I do love your visitor. You can keep the snow beautiful though it may be.
    Lovely gift :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I'm really ready for summer myself, we really need the snow for fire season so I'm glad we got it and hope we get some more. Thanks!

      Delete