Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Snow, Snow, Everywhere

 Hi all -

Well, it's been quite a week! We ended up getting over 4 feet of heavy, wet snow in last week's storm. I can only remember one storm with more snow since I moved up here in 2000. Luckily, we only lost power for 2.5 hours. Not sure how that happened! Must have been because I got everything as ready as possible for a long power outage. 🙃 I have a fairly long driveway so it took me three days to get the driveway cleared and the car dug out. Here's Grace enjoying the snow while it was still coming down:


The snow completely buried most of the fence. Do you see the fence peeking out of the snow on both sides of this picture?


I did an initial shoveling of the path from the house to the driveway while the snow was still coming down to give Grace a place to walk:


We got another 8-10 inches overnight after this. A neighbor walked by on the road while I was working on the driveway and took this picture:


At least it was beautiful while I was shoveling after the storm!


On the second day, one of the neighbors was passing by in his little Bobcat, working on the neighborhood roads, and he stopped and dug out some of the big piles left at the end of the driveway by the plows. I was VERY thankful since the pile was huge and the pieces were heavy!! Once I finished the driveway, I worked on digging out the car:


It really felt good when I was done!! We've had some warm sunny days this week and the melting has begun, but there's still a LOT of snow out there! Our morning walks have been affected because the trail is very difficult to navigate right now -- lots of postholing! But I did take Grace down to one of the dog parks in Boulder yesterday where she got to do a bunch of running and swimming! It's a different world down there! We have another storm coming this weekend, but it's a bit early to get a good forecast on the amount of snow we'll get. My neighbor said that Weather Underground is forecasting about 10 inches, but that they tend to overforecast. I'm torn between wanting the snowpack and being ready to walk on solid ground!

When I wasn't resting my arms after shoveling, I did make good progress on my Fiber Fest Shawl designed by Stephen West:

Fiber Fest Shawl

I'm working on the first of two borders now. It is a more complex version of the Brioche bands, where the Brioche forms a triangular pattern. I've finished the first of three pattern repeats for this border:

Fiber Fest Shawl - Brioche Border

Then I'll just have the final border to finish, which will be purple stripes on the blue background. I'll be really happy when this shawl is finished! I really love it.

Finally, March Madness is upon us so I'll be happily knitting away while watching the action! It doesn't look like Kansas has much of a chance at willing the Championship this year, but you never know!

Nancy


1 comment:

  1. Wow. . .I couldn't believe the snow pictures! I'm glad the power outage was short. . .still 2.5 hours is long enough to be cold! Your knitting projects are the perfect ones to be stitching during March Madness!!--Terry@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete