Monday, December 1, 2014

Grand Illusion Mystery, Part 1

Hi all -

First, I thought I'd share the beautiful sunrise we had here on Saturday morning:





Isn't that glorious?


This weekend I took a break from making Christmas presents to start work on Bonnie Hunter's Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt.  The first clue came out on Friday, so I spent the weekend making the blocks.

Our first task was to make 280 2.5" half-square triangles. Whew, that's a lot of triangles! I used my Accuquilt GO cutter, so the cutting went pretty quickly. Here are my finished squares:






For fun, I spread them all out to see how I liked the colors:





I'm liking them!

The next step was to cut 100 black and 100 yellow 2.5" squares and sew them together with the half-square triangles (80 of the triangles are left over for another step) to make the first set of blocks. Here are the blocks that I made, all spread out:





We also have a bunch of greens and neutrals to add into this quilt as we go along, so it should be a beautiful combination! This is my first Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt and I'm really excited to be participating!


If you want to see the progress other people are making on this quilt, here is the link-up page. New clues come out each Friday and I will try to keep up the best I can.

Happy Quilting!!

Nancy

4 comments:

  1. Have fun with your first mystery! They are very addictive, and once you've done one you might be hooked.

    Visiting people's blogs each weeks is a big part of the fun. Congratulations on getting all this week's blocks done already - your blocks look great all laid out like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first mystery quilt, too and I love to see how everyone's fabrics work together and how differnt all those quilters' blocks turn out - even if they use the same colour palette. Isn't it exciting?

    ReplyDelete