Friday, May 15, 2015

Christmas Log Cabin

Hi all -

Hope all is going well with you. I'm very excited to have finished the piecing on my Judy Martin Christmas Log Cabin top. I also finished the back (which is a single fabric back) and have prepared the binding, so I'm all ready whenever I have time to start quilting this one.

Here is a picture of the completed top (I was really lucky to get a little time with no wind before the rains started back up so I could get a picture):


I really love this quilt and am planning on keeping it for myself. Which means it'll probably be years before I get around to quilting it.

I used a bunch of fun fabrics in this quilt. That's one of the things I love about scrap quilts! You can throw in really fun fabrics and they aren't noticeable unless you are looking for them. One of my favorites is a Day of the Dead fabric in Christmas green:


Do you see the skulls? I found it on the sale table at my LQS. The ladies thought I was crazy when I told them it was for my Christmas quilt (and maybe they're right....), but it makes me very happy. As do the googly eyes next to it. Aren't they hilarious? And I also love this scarf and mittens fabric:


The drawings look really Dr. Seussy to me. In the reds, I have a wonderful graphic roses fabric:


And a fun circus print:


Do you see the shadows of the clown, acrobat, ringmaster and horse? And that top green fabric is a Linus Project fabric. Fun, fun, fun! Some of the other favorite fabrics have words or maps on them. Here is a map fabric in cream:


I try to pick up these types of fabric whenever I see them.

As you can see from the pictures, when I make a scrap quilt I like to push the color envelope a bit. I don't want everything to be too matchy-matchy. I think the different shades and values add sparkle to the quilt when you step back and look at the whole thing.

Finally, here is the backing fabric I chose:


The color is a much darker gold than it appears in the picture. I also used this fabric for one of the stars on the front. I've started making backings for my quilts that have have lots of fabrics in them so they are more fun, but I bought this backing a long time ago and decided to still use it since I have so much of it. And I really like the fabric.

The other thing I made recently is a wallet for my niece for her high school graduation:


I made it out of a couple of the fabrics I picked up on our quilt shop hop:

The lining fabric appears yellow in the pictures, but it's really a yellow green. I traditionally give the kids money for high school graduations, so I thought it would be nice to make something to put the cash in.

We've been getting an incredible amount of rain lately. If the roads hold up, it'll be nice because the rain is pushing back the fire season. And it'll be really good for the wild flowers.

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment