Friday, November 24, 2017

Houston 2017 -- Purchases

Hi all -

Since we all like to see what our friends have bought, I thought I'd share my Houston purchases in a quick post. This year I bought more than I usually do. I did my usual quick shopping during the Wednesday evening sneak preview, but then I also went through some of the vendors with some friends later in the week. It's the second trip through that did me in!

I have a couple of vendors that I always visit. These are the ones I visited on Wednesday. First stop is always SewBatik. I love their fabrics. They are top quality, the colors are always bright and they keep their lines around so you can always get more of a fabric that you need. And the owners are the nicest people around.


I also always stop at ArtFabrik to pick up some hand-dyed silks and perl cotton. I don't know yet what I'm going to do with the silks, but they are beautiful so I keep collecting them!



Another regular stop is Cherrywood for their beautiful hand-dyed fabrics. I love the suede look of these fabrics!


After hitting my regular stops, I did wander around a little bit and ended up picking up a couple of rulers from DeLoa Jones' booth. The three rulers on the right are from her booth:


The straight-edge ruler and the Handi Grips I picked up in Debby Brown's class. I'm excited to use the Handi Grips at home because there are the best ruler grippers I've found yet.

In Jane Sassaman's class, I was taken by a collection of 1/2 yard cuts:


It was the colors of these fabrics that really grabbed me. They are a really cool combination of pea green and purple. Sounds terrible, but I really love how they look together. I plan to make some sort of a bag out of these.

In Cherly Sleboda's class, I also picked up a few goodies:


(I actually picked up the stencil on the bottom at DeLoa's booth, but this is the picture that it ended up in.) I thought it would be good to have Cheryl's DVD for reference and her smocking template did make the marking a lot easier.

Then I did that extra shopping trip with my friends Susan and Janet, where I got more things that I didn't know I needed. 😊 On that trip, I picked up this bundle of silk strips:


This is another thing that I don't know what I'm going to do with, but I loved it so I got it. Then we went to the Sue Spargo booth, where I had a lot of fun! I love handwork and embroidery, so this was the perfect place for me! I'm just still holding out on collecting wool...


I look forward to making that needle roll after I finish with my Christmas stuff!

Finally, Janet turned us on to another company that makes hand-dyed sueded fabrics: Liberty Homestead.






She said that she has had trouble with the Cherrywood fabrics running, but has never had a problem with the Liberty Homestead fabrics running. I haven't had any trouble with the Cherrywood fabrics running myself, but I do like the price of this fabric. It's a good bit cheaper than the Cherrywood fabrics. The down side of the Liberty Homestead fabrics is that they don't have as many colors. I look forward to playing with these new fabrics!

That's everything that I bought while in Houston. A lot of fun stuff that I look forward to playing with! I bought just enough stuff that they made me open my bag at the airport and move two pieces of fabric from my suitcase to my carry-on bag. I also had to move the show program to my carry-on bag because they had put too many glossy pages in the program so the TSA x-rays were getting blocked and all of the bags were having to be hand-checked. I thought that was pretty funny!

I hope all of my American friends had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Nancy

2 comments:

  1. How do you have room in your bag for all your purchases coming home??? I enjoyed each and everyone of your purchases. Good to know about the Liberty Fabrics as I too like the suede look of the Cherrywood Fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always make sure there's extra room in my bags when I pack for the trip. I bring a big suitcase and a duffle bag. With all of the class supplies I had to bring down there, adding the purchases completely filled up the suitcase and all of the clothes went in the duffle bag, along with a good amount of fabric that didn't fit in the suitcase. The duffle was completely full on the return trip!! Next year I'll bring the larger size duffle, just in case!

    ReplyDelete