Wednesday, July 1, 2015

KCRQF "Organic Embellishment" with Sherry Whetstone

Hi all -

The last class I took at the Kansas City Regional Quilt Festival was "Organic Embellishment" with Sherry Whetstone. This was another class where I had no idea what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. It was also the class that pushed me the most since it was about just letting yourself be free and create art. Not a comfortable place for me! But Sherry was wonderful!


She even made tea for the class to help us relax:


Isn't that sweet? Here's some of her work to give you an idea of what we were doing:


Aren't these wonderful? Here is my piece so far:


I'll have to put this piece aside for a while as I decide how to finish it. I asked her about when she does the quilting and she said she does it at the end so the stitching for adding the embellishments doesn't show on the back, but I need to work out in my mind how that is done since the embellishments would be in the way when trying to quilt. But it would be difficult to add the embellishments to the quilt after the quilting and hiding the stitching in the sandwich because this piece is built on top of a piece of heavyweight fusible stabilizer. Those who know me well know that I have to work this out in my head for a while before I'll be able to work on this some more, but I will get back to it at some point.

That's all for the classes at the show. Soon I'll share pictures of the quilts.

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment